Historie podcastů

Exteriér kostela sv. Poga a Petra v klášteře Tatev

Exteriér kostela sv. Poga a Petra v klášteře Tatev



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.


Mapa Tatev

Tatev je klášter nacházející se vysoko na okraji rokliny Vorotan poblíž vesnice Tatev v oblasti Goris v jihovýchodní Arménii. Vorotan je největší soutěskou Arménie s hloubkou 850 metrů.

Klášter Tatev byl založen v 9. století. Tatev byl postaven na strategicky výhodném místě. Dvě strany komplexu jsou ohraničeny vysokými vyvýšenými obrannými zdmi a další dvě strany jsou chráněny strmými údolími.

Historie Tatev
Klášterní komplex Tatev byl kdysi politickým hlavním městem syunického knížectví. Během 10. století to mělo populaci 1000 lidí. Klášter Tatevi Anapat byl založen v 17. století. Nachází se na dně údolí. Zemětřesení v roce 1931 způsobilo značné škody.

Památky Tatev
Kostel Pogos a Petros založený v letech 895-906 je hlavní památkou Tatev. Obsahuje typicky klenutou baziliku ze 7. století. Unikátní architektonická jemnost a fascinující detaily exteriéru kostela upoutají zraky všech turistů. Vnitřní stěny byly vyzdobeny freskami, které byly časem poškozeny. Kostel Grigory umístěný vedle hlavního kostela byl postaven v roce 1295.

Pomník Gavazana je jedinečným příkladem fascinující architektonické dokonalosti země.

V Tatevu byla založena škola založená v 10. století. Zde se žáci učili humanitním vědám a ilustrovali rukopisy.


Návrat domů

Jeden poslední let kamenných schodů mě vysmíval, jedinou překážku mezi mnou a ruinami Kobayru, komplexu kostela z 12. století. Co si mysleli mí středověcí předkové, stavěli kostely na tyčících se vrcholcích hor? Pokoušeli se dostat co nejblíže k Bohu, který jen zřídka odpovídal na jejich modlitby? Možná, protože když jsem se dostal k ruinám a postavil se před blednoucími freskami Krista a jeho učedníků namalovaných na zbývající polovině kopule kostela, bylo to jako stát v nebi.

Můj manžel, Harry a já, společně s našimi přáteli Norou a manželem Thomasem, a moje sestra Arda a její manžel Roland konečně realizovali naše dlouholeté přání společně navštívit Arménii.

Moje kořeny sahají hluboko do Hayastanu, jak říkáme naší zemi. Na konci 19. století moji prarodiče z otcovy strany prchali před osmanskou perzekucí na území dnešního východního Turecka (ale historicky šlo o arménská území), kde se usadili v Egyptě. V roce 1915 prarodiče z matčiny strany unikli tureckým masakrům Arménů a také začali svůj život znovu v Egyptě.

V 15 jsem strávil měsíc v letním táboře v Arménii, než jsem se vrátil do Káhiry, mého rodiště. Ten výlet ve mně zanechal nesmazatelný dojem a moje vzpomínky na divoké hory okresu Lori v severní Arménii byly tak živé, že jsem svou první dceru pojmenoval Lori. Stále žiji v Egyptě a jsem součástí arménské diaspory se 4 miliony.

"Ach, tolik se to změnilo - musíte to vidět," řekli přátelé, kteří navštívili Arménii po nezávislosti 1991 na Sovětském svazu. Změny by byly fascinující, to jsem si byl jistý, ale také jsem chtěl vidět vlast, kterou jsem v mládí krátce poznal.

Nyní, téměř tři desetiletí po mé první návštěvě, jsem byl zpět v Lori. Moje paměť mě neklamala. Hory se rozvíjely, kam až oko dohlédlo. Kozy se pásly v ústí jeskyně na hřebenu o něco níže na vrcholu, odkud jsem stál, a řeka Debed se proplétala údolím směrem k Gruzii, kde by se vlévala do Černého moře.

Z místa, kde jsem stál, byl ten pohled klidný, což souviselo s historií katastrof jak přírodních (zemětřesení v roce 1988 zabilo 25 000 lidí), tak způsobených lidmi.

Letěli jsme do Jerevanu, hlavního města, přes Vídeň. Bylo to nejlepší spojení, jaké jsme mohli z Káhiry najít, ale dalo nám to v 5 ráno město. Když jsme jeli taxíkem do města, napůl jsem spal, ale můj první pohled na horu Ararat probudil mé smysly. Hora je pro Armény posvátná, kteří věří, že tam Noemova archa spočinula. Dnes spadá do tureckého území. Přesto je Ararat tak spojený s naší identitou, že jsem se několik příštích dní někdy obracel hledat ji, jako bych chtěl posílit skutečnost, že jsem konečně ve své vlasti.

Thomas, který zemi pravidelně navštěvoval od počátku 90. let, byl naším „vedoucím mise“ a plánoval náš 12denní pobyt s jeho obvyklým profesionálním přístupem. On a Nora, který byl naším odborníkem na jídlo a zábavu, nám pomohli pronajmout si byt v Jerevanu, ze kterého jsme měli nádherný výhled na horu Ararat.

Kultura kaváren změnila Jerevan, město, které se rychle rozrostlo na zhruba 1,2 milionu obyvatel. Tam, kde kdysi byly parky a promenády, nyní existují bistra, kde patroni sedí bok po boku, aby se stýkali.

Užili jsme si jeden příjemný večer v restauraci Amrotz, která má nádherný výhled na Ararat. Jedli jsme khorovatz, nebo grilované jehněčí nebo vepřové maso a tančilo v rychlých rytmech arménské hudby a popíjelo ruskou vodku.

Další noc jsme ochutnali Paplavok Jazz Café, kde je také živá hudba. Zatímco jsme kontrolovali bouřlivý dav, k našemu překvapení jsme viděli naše bratrance z USA sedět o pár stolů dál.

Jerevanská umělecká scéna se také rozlévá do ulic, kde najdete mnoho soch a uměleckých děl: silná obří socha Mayra Hayastana (Matka Arménie), která bdí nad Jerevanem z kopce ve Victory Parku Boterova kočka na úpatí oblasti Kaskád a , v kovu, nervózní postava Garabally, prodavačky květin na Apovian Street.

Arméni dobře využívají kov a kámen. Přestože budovy 70. let - ze sovětské éry - jsou hrůzné krabičky od sirek, starší budovy města mají klasickou úspornost. Novější architektura využívá domorodé duf, růžově zbarvený kámen, který při hře ze skleněných fasád dodává městu současný vzhled.

Během dne jsme vyrazili z Jerevanu prozkoumat krajinu. Najali jsme minivan s řidičem a na konci našeho pobytu jsme prozkoumali velkou část odhadovaných 11 490 čtverečních mil Arménie.

Ačkoli by se nikdo z nás neoznačil za oddané křesťany, většinu času jsme trávili v kostelech a klášterech, což nám poskytlo lepší vhled do naší vlasti a jejích 3 milionů lidí.

Arménie se stala prvním křesťanským národem na světě v roce 301 n. L., Na který jsou Arméni nesmírně hrdí. Aby vyhověli své zapálené víře - a snad aby poskytli ochranu městům a vesnicím - postavili kostely ve zdánlivě každém koutě této země, která dnes leží na křižovatce Turecka, Gruzie, Ázerbájdžánu a Íránu.

Díky své poloze na křižovatce Evropy a Asie byla Arménie obklíčena, napadena a okupována mnoha nepřátelskými sousedy. Římané, Byzantinci, Peršané a další regionální mocnosti překročili arménské země. Někteří, jako Arabové v 7. století, zůstali a okupovali zemi téměř tři století.

Na počátku 15. století převzali osmanští Turci velkou část historické Arménie, z nichž většina dnes leží v rámci tureckých hranic, a Sověti ovládali zemi více než 70 let. V letech od roku 1991 mezi sebou Arménie a Ázerbájdžán bojovaly a na obou stranách byly zabity tisíce lidí.

Stejně jako byli naši předkové motivováni stavět kostely na strategických místech, měli jsme také důvody, proč jsme je na náš itinerář umístili tak prominentně: dotkli bychom se silné části arménské minulosti a přitom si užívali přírodních krás krajiny, jejích měst a vesnic.

Z odhadovaných 40 000 náboženských památek v zemi má většina jedinečný architektonický prvek nebo zajímavý příběh o historii Arménie a jejích provázaných vláken víry a politiky.

Například na jihu jsme překonali chudé silnice (nebo náš řidič) a klikaté horské stezky v oblasti Syunik, abychom dosáhli tatevského kláštera a pevnosti z 9. století, posazeného na útesu nad městem Tatev, asi 170 mil od Jerevanu .

Už z dálky jsme viděli typicky kuželovitou kopuli kostela nesoucí kříž a pod ní se v kaňonu řítil vodopád. Vnitřní stěny jeho hlavního kostela, Pogos a Petros, nebo Paul a Peter, byly vyzdobeny freskami, které byly nedávno částečně restaurovány. Khachkars - obdélníkové kamenné desky vyřezávané složitými kříži - zdobí vnější zdi kostela a dvůr. V zenitu kláštera zde od 10. do 13. století žilo a studovalo až 1 000 mnichů.

Jedna z klášterních komnat má obrovský klenutý otvor s výhledem na kaňon. Typickým víceúčelovým způsobem byl Tatev používán jako pevnost k odvrácení invazních armád a jako náboženské centrum, které živilo křesťanskou víru a propagovalo a obohacovalo arménskou kulturu. Mniši vytvořili miniaturní rukopisy, nyní uložené v jerevanském muzeu Madenataran, které dokumentují jejich studia historie, jazyka, vědy a umění, což je součást snahy udržet jejich arménskou identitu naživu.

Další den jsme navštívili klášterní komplexy z 10. století Sanahin a Haghpad, postavené kolem města Alaverdi, asi 110 mil severně od Jerevanu. Každý z nich má mnoho budov, asymetricky uspořádaných, a jejich hlavní kostely jsou typu cross-winged dome převládající v arménské náboženské architektuře.

Tato dvě místa mají třípatrové zvonice korunované sloupovými zvonicemi. V patrech knihovny každého z nich byly podzemní keše pro ukrytí pokladů nebo důležitých dokumentů. Islámské a zoroastrijské (starověké perské náboženství) symboly zdobí zdi v Haghpadu a Sanahinu, snad aby uklidnily - nebo zmátly - nepřátele.

Drahý básník Sayat Nova, jehož romantické písně z 18. století jsou stále součástí arménského hudebního lexikonu, pracoval v klášterní cele v Haghpadu a díval se z náhorní plošiny na nádherný výhled na hory a údolí, což je zjevně inspirace.

Nejinspirativnější pohled, který jsme našli, byl z kláštera Khor Virab, 34 mil západně od Jerevanu na turecko-arménské hranici. Zde byl patron Arménů Gregory Iluminátor uvězněn před 1700 lety králem Trdatem III (nebo Tiridates) za kázání křesťanství. Byl propuštěn o 13 let později po obrácení krále, který prohlásil křesťanství za státní náboženství Arménie. Klaustrofobní jáma, ve které byl Gregory držen v zajetí, je přístupná po žebříku.

Byl to křišťálově jasný den a hora Ararat se rozprostřela po obzoru.

"Jednoho dne tam půjdeme, ano?" Zeptal se Hovsep, náš řidič minivanu, když jsme uvažovali o hoře.

Možná, pomyslel jsem si. Ale i když ne, Ararat je s námi jako symbol arménského boje. Dosáhli jsme toho summitu, obrazně řečeno, jen tím, že jsme přežili 3000 let.

Jedním z nástrojů našeho přežití byla hudba a píseň. Když jsme byli na cestě do kláštera Keghart, 30 mil východně od Jerevanu, tři pouliční hudebníci se s námi svezli. Jakmile se hudebníci usadili na zadním sedadle, začali hrát arménské milostné písně a hlasitě zpívat.

Nora se bouřlivě zasmála. "Slyšel jsem, že bych si vzal rádio nebo CD přehrávač, ale jezdil s živou kapelou?" To se může stát jen v Arménii! “ ona řekla.

Vysadili jsme je na piknikové ploše, kde by za pár coinů vystupovali pro návštěvníky.

Klášter Keghart je ohromující komplex budov založený ve 4. století Gregory Illuminatorem a rozšířený ve 12. století. Podle legendy sem bylo přivezeno kopí, které probodlo Krista, přestože už dávno zmizelo.

Části mnoha propojených kostelů jsou vytesány do skály na straně hory. Akustika v jedné hale je taková, že hučení jednoho člověka, které nám Thomas předvedl, zní jako sbor.

Chcete -li však slyšet skutečně nebeský zvuk, poslouchejte písně arménské liturgie. Ve starověku bylo používání komplikovaných obrazů v kostele zakázáno. Někteří říkají, že písně arménské liturgie, jako by je kompenzovaly, jsou ve srovnání s jinými pravoslavnými vírami důmyslné. V neděli jsme se zúčastnili mše svaté v Echmiadzinu, Matičním stolci arménské apoštolské církve. Jeho Svatost Karekin II., Nejvyšší patriarcha a katolicos všech Arménů, tam byl, jak často je.

Netrávili jsme všechen čas uvnitř nebo mezi ruinami. Jednoho dne jsme piknikovali na svazích hory Aragats, asi 30 mil severozápadně od Jerevanu. Moře levandule, žlutých a bílých květů leží ve stínu ruin pevnosti Amberd z 11. století, která se majestátně vznáší na okraji údolí.

Zahrnuli jsme také zastávku u jezera Sevan, jehož tyrkysové vody a písečné pláže umožňují, i když jen na čas, zapomenout, že Arménie je vnitrozemská země.

Než jsme opustili Arménii, bylo ještě jedno poslední místo, které jsme museli navštívit: Tsitsernakaberd, památník v Jerevanu postavený na počest statisíců - Arméni říkají až 1,5 milionu - zabitých Turky počínaje rokem 1915.

Otvory mezi kamennými deskami, které stoupají kolem věčného plamene hořícího ve středu památníku, jsem viděl Araratův zasněžený vrchol. K plameni se přiblížila stará žena, které pomohla její dcera, a já jsem přemýšlel, na koho myslí.

Moje myšlenky se vrátily do hor, do zázračné vlasti, která změnila hranice, vlajky, hlavní města - dokonce zmizela jako politická entita na 500 let - a přesto nezanikla. Vydrží a dodá mi sílu. Vím, že se vrátím.

Z LAX, spojovací služba (změna letadla) je nabízena na společnostech Aeroflot, Air France, Virgin Atlantic, British, United, American, KLM a Air New Zealand. Omezené zpáteční lety začínají od 999 USD do 13. října, poté 800 USD do 11. prosince.

Zavolat níže uvedená čísla z USA, vytočte 011 (mezinárodní předvolba), 374 (kód země pro Arménii) a místní číslo.

Marriott Armenia Hotel, Náměstí republiky, Jerevan 1-599-000, fax 1-599-001, https://www.marriott.com/EVNMC. Zdvojnásobí se od 139 $.

Kongresový hotel, 1 Italia St., Jerevan 1-580-095, fax 1-522-224 https://www.congresshotelyerevan.com. 126 pokojů. Zdvojnásobí se od 108 dolarů.

Ani Plaza Hotel, 19 Sayat-Nova Ave., Jerevan 1-589-500, fax 1-565-343, https://www.anihotel.com. 194 pokojů. Zdvojnásobí se od 102 dolarů.

Mer Tagh, 21/1 Tumanian St., Jerevan 1-580-106. Jeho specialitou je lahmajun, tenké pečivo přelité mletým masem a pečené v troubě po 80 centech. Khachabouri, gruzínské listové těsto se sýrem nebo masem, stojí 1,50 USD za kus.

Aragast/Paplavok, 41 Isahakian St., Jerevan 1-545-500. Tyto dvě restaurace mají výhled na rybník a podávají arménská a západní jídla, ale jděte tam za hudbou, ne za jídlem. V první je houslista a ve druhé je proslulý živým jazzem. Vstupy kolem 5 $.

Průvodce: "Edge of Time: Traveling in Armenia and Karabagh." Autoři Matthew Karanian a Robert Kurkjian nabízejí užitečné informace o cestování autem po Arménii a Karabaghu.


Město Echmiadzin

S Jerevanem jako základnou můžete snadno navštívit svaté město Echmiadzin (což znamená „místo, kde sestoupil Jednorozený Boží Syn“), duchovní a správní centrum arménské apoštolské církve, poutní místo křesťanských Arménů z celého světa svět známý svými četnými kostely, kláštery a zajímavou architekturou zasazený do malebného prostředí.

The Katedrála Echmiadzin je vrcholem města, jednoho z nejstarších křesťanských kostelů postaveného ve 4. století, s muzeem, které uchovává skutečně cenné obrazy a náboženské artefakty. O tomto kostele existuje zajímavá legenda, která říká, že sv. Řehoř, známý jako Svatý iluminátor, když osvěcoval krále Trdata a vedl jej ke křesťanství v roce 301, měl vizi Krista sestupujícího z mraků a dopadajícího na zem v Echmiadzinu zlatým kladivem, čímž bylo určeno umístění nového kostela. Je to jedno z nejnavštěvovanějších míst v Arménii, které přitahuje návštěvníky exteriérem i interiérem.

Foto tweettravelers.com

Přitažlivé jsou také kostely St. Gayane (640-41 ccm. N. L.) A St. Hripsime (618 n. L.), Mistrovská díla arménské architektury i památky světového dědictví UNESCO, které nikdy nepřestanou ohromovat turisty svými harmonickými proporcemi a slavnostními interiéry. Kostel Shoghakat je dalším architektonickým zázrakem přidaným mnohem později do městské architektonické sbírky. Zatímco jste v Echmiadzinu, určitě vyzkoušejte místní delikatesu s názvem kyufta, s autentickou chutí, kterou opravdu oceníte.


Arménie turistické atrakce: co vidět v Arménii

Turistické atrakce Arménie jsou pozoruhodné pro cestovatele se zájmem o historii. Nejznámějšími z nich jsou jeho četné a starobylé kláštery a kostely. Země má ale také zajímavou krajinu a přírodní krásy.

Mezi nejvýznamnější turistické atrakce Arménie patří místa, která UNESCO zařadilo do Elanco světového dědictví lidstva: Kláštery Haghpat a Sanahin (1996, 2000), katedrála a kostely Echmiatsin a archeologické naleziště Zvartnots (2000), klášter Geghard a údolí Horní Azat (2000).

KLÁŠTERY HAGHPATU A SANAHINU

Kláštery Haghpat a Sanahin: Jsou to dva byzantské kláštery nacházející se v oblasti Tumanian, v severní Arménii, byly důležitými centry znalostí během dynastie Kiurikianů (století X-XIII). Tyto dva kláštery představují nejvyšší úroveň dosaženou arménskou náboženskou architekturou, jejíž jedinečný styl je směsicí byzantských prvků a tradiční architektury kavkazských oblastí. Oba kláštery byly založeny v 10. století, několik kilometrů od sebe. Budovy se nacházejí v dominantní poloze v hlubokém údolí tvořeném řekou Dzoraget. Je to idylické a nádherné přírodní místo.

KATEDRÁL A KOSTELE ECHMIATSINU

Katedrála a kostely v Echmiatsinu (Ejmiatsin) a archeologické naleziště Zvartnots: Katedrála a kostely v Echmiatsinu (Ejmiatsin) a archeologické naleziště Zvartnots představují evoluci a vývoj typu církve typické pro zemi s půdorysem kříže a centrální kopule. Katedrála sv. Echmiadzina, která byla postavena v 5. století, je nyní sídlem arménských katolíků. Zajímavé je také muzeum uvnitř katedrály, které zobrazuje poklady arménského umění, relikvie a archeologické pozůstatky.

ARCHEOLOGICKÉ STRÁNKY ZVARTNOTS

Zvartnots, je velmi sugestivní komplex staveb, postavený v polovině sedmého století poblíž Echmiatsinu (Ejmiatsin). V době svého vzniku to byla nejdůležitější katedrála Arménie. Komplex ruin tvoří katedrála San Giorgio (Zvartnots) a palác Nerses III.

DALŠÍ Kláštery a Církve

Klášter Geghard a údolí Horní Azat: Klášter Geghard, který se nachází několik kilometrů severně od Garni, obsahuje mnoho kostelů a hrobek. Většina z nich je vytesána ze skály a představuje vrchol arménské středověké architektury. Komplex středověkých budov se nachází v krajině velkých přírodních krás, obklopen útesy u vstupu do údolí Azat. Kostel vytesaný do nejstarší skály kláštera sv. Řehoře pochází ze sedmého století. Zatímco hlavní struktura komplexu, kostel Panny Marie s křížovým plánem, pochází ze třináctého století.

Dalšími zajímavými místy k návštěvě v zemi jsou klášter Haghartsin, který se nachází nedaleko města Dilijan. Tento klášter se skládá z řady klášterních staveb včetně tří kostelů a několika kaplí. Hlavním kostelem je kostel sv. Astvatsatsina, postavený v roce 1281, zatímco nejstarší je kostel sv. Grigora, který se datuje do 11. století.

Další zajímavou stavbou je klášter Tatev, založený v 9. století. Tento klášter se nachází na skalnatém útesu strategicky umístěném tak, aby dominoval dole v kaňonu. Nejvýznamnější stavbou kláštera je kostel Pogose a Petroše (Petra a Pavla) postavený mezi 9. a 10. stoletím. Uvnitř jsou stále patrné některé fresky z 10. století.


Architektura

Podle arménského historika Vardana Areveltsiho ze 13. století byla Gharghavank postavena v letech 661 až 685 princem Grigorem Mamikonianem. Kostel je centrálně plánovaný trojlodní tetrašichový typ s osmi půlkruhovými apsidami vyzařujícími z vnitřního osmibokého prostoru. Exteriéry osmi apsidových stěn se střídají s osmi přímočarými panely obsahujícími široké trojúhelníkové výklenky, které rozdělují každou z apsid. Silné apsidové stěny a přívěsky podpíraly nahoře buben a kopuli. Většina bubnu a kopule se od té doby zhroutila. Kolem prostor jsou vidět fragmenty geometrické výzdoby.

Do struktury vedou dva portály. Na překladu jednoho je vytesán křížový design khachkar. V rozích trojúhelníkových výklenků na vnější straně jsou sloupovité dekorace. Kolem sedel nad okny, okapů a říms lze vidět i jiné designy a kolem portálů kdysi byly ozdobné prvky. Kolem oken je vidět reliéf listů, zatímco geometrický reliéf je podél okapů a říms. Stopy malovaného reliéfu jsou také na vnitřku kostela. Ozdobný reliéf nalezený na kostele se podobá kostelu Zvartnotů v Ejmiatsinu ze 7. století.

Restaurátorské práce byly provedeny na severní straně kostela v roce 1948. V oblasti, kde kdysi stával buben, lze vidět určitou výztuž.


Exteriér kostela sv. Poga a Petra v klášteře Tatev - historie

V srpnu 2003 byli Abba Seraphim a otec Simon Smyth hosty arcibiskupa Pargev Martirossyana, preláta diecéze Artsakh (která pokrývá Náhorní Karabagh a přilehlá osvobozená území historického Artsakhu) arménské apoštolské církve. Celou dobu je doprovázel Dr. Manuk Hergnyan, výkonný ředitel Vem arménského rozhlasu.

Vydali jsme se do Artsakhu v nádherné společnosti Dr. Eduarda Danielyana, vedoucího výzkumné skupiny zabývající se starověkou a raně středověkou arménskou historií v Národní akademii věd Arménské republiky a vedoucím katedry územních studií v Jerevanském státním lingvistice University, kde vyučuje oblastní studia britské a arménské historie. Eduard byl naprostý fond informací a každá otázka, kterou jsem položil ohledně arménské historie, byla zodpovězena do velké hloubky a s vědeckou přesností. Můj genealogický zájem o starověké knížecí dynastie Bagratidů a Artsrunidů ho evidentně potěšil a dostali jsme se stranou do diskuse o Arménech diasporastejně jako původ naší vlastní rodiny. Manuk věděl, že jeho předkové se stěhovali z Bayazitu na západních svazích hory Ararat (nyní ve východním Turecku) v roce 1828, během jedné z mnoha rusko-tureckých válek.

Brzy poté, co jsme opustili Jerevan, jsme překročili velkou plochou Araratskou nížinu, které po naší pravici dominoval vzdálený sněhem pokrytý vrchol hory Ararat-Masis (5 165 m), tyčící se nad mlhavými mraky jako Nový Jeruzalém sestupující z nebe. Nebylo těžké pochopit, proč Ararat-Masis tak emocionálně a symbolicky ovládá arménské nálady. Přemýšlel jsem o strategické zranitelnosti tohoto jádra historické Arménie, když jsem si představoval přechod invazních armád: Římanů, Byzantinců, Mongolů, Peršanů, Tatarů, Seljuka, osmanských a kemalistických Turků, z nichž každý zničil křehkou nezávislost arménské národnosti. Když jsme cestovali na jih a poté na východ do arménské jižní provincie Zangezur (Syunik), cesta si razila cestu majestátním úpatím Zangezurských hor. Jméno Zangezur je tradičně odvozeno od zeměpisného jména Dzagedzor, domény arménského patriarchy Dzagika. Podle lidové etymologie název znamená „zvon, který není slyšet“, který pochází z legendy o zvonu ve starověkém kostele postaveném na soutěsce řeky Vorotan. Obrovský zvon byl slyšet na vzdálenost až šedesáti kilometrů a sloužil k varování asi šesti stovek vesnic před blížícím se nepřátelem, což jim umožnilo uprchnout do zalesněných kopců a dostat se do bezpečí nedobytného tatevského kláštera. Říká se, že arabští útočníci v 8. století se marně pokoušeli zničit zvon, až nakonec pod ním zapálili divoký oheň, což způsobilo, že se klapka roztavila na boku.

Po pádu císařského Ruska tato oblast obstála ve zkoušce času. Nároky Ázerbájdžánské republiky (podporované Tureckem) na arménské oblasti Nakhijevan, Zangezur a Karabagh se setkaly s tvrdým odporem Arménů a staly se centrem konfliktů. V červnu 1918 během útoku tureckých vojsk proti Arménské republice napadli oblast Nakhijeven, ale byli poraženi arménským plukem vedeným generálem Andranikem Ozanyanem (1865-1927). Na konci července turecké síly podporované ázerbájdžánskými musavatisty zajaly Nakhijevan, ale po porážce v první světové válce muselo Turecko ustoupit z okupovaných území, včetně Nakhijevanu (prosinec 1918). Musavatisté obsadili region, ale v květnu 1919 vojenské síly Arménské republiky osvobodily Nakhijevan. V červenci 1920 byl Nakhijevan obsazen pluky 11. Rudé armády a byla zde zřízena sovětská moc. Podle moskevské smlouvy (16. března 1921) podepsané sovětským Ruskem a kemalistickým Tureckem byl Nakhijevan připojen k sovětskému Ázerbájdžánu. Kemalistické Turecko tak dobylo z Arménie okres Kars a oblast Surmalu (Surb Mariam - St. Maria) na jedné straně a pomohlo sovětskému Ázerbájdžánu anektovat Nakhijevan, který byl v únoru 1924 restrukturalizován na Nakhijevan (název byl chybně napsán Naxçivan ) Autonomní sovětská socialistická republika ve výši Ázerbájdžánské SSR. Díky úsilí generála Andranika a poté oslavovaného arménského velitele Geregina Nzhdeha (1886-1955) zůstal Zangazur arménský a netrpěl stejným osudem jako Nakhijevan. Kdyby však byl Zangezour postoupen Ázerbájdžánu, Karabagh by byl tak pevně obklopen Ázerbájdžánem, že by nikdy nezískal nezávislost. Během let sovětské moci realizovali ázerbájdžánští vládci politiku deportace Arménů - domorodého obyvatelstva Nakhijevanu. Doprovázel to vandalismus - ničení arménských historických památek, zejména křesťanské epochy (kostely a chačkary - kamenné kříže).

Poté, co jsme opustili hlavní silnici a po menší cestě strmou roklí tvořenou přítokem řeky Arpy, jsme dorazili k Norovanku („Nový klášter“), který se, stejně jako většina starověkých klášterních míst, dramaticky nachází na vrcholu útesu. Jak můžete jet přímo nahoru do kláštera, v Norovanku byl docela dost turistů, včetně přátelské rodiny amerických Arménů, kteří se mnou dělali rozhovor pro svůj domácí film, a vyloženě se mě ptali na můj názor, zda jsem považoval Arménii za bezpečné místo pro turisty .


Komplex sestávající ze tří kostelů byl obnoven do své bývalé slávy až v roce 1998 díky štědrosti kanadské arménské rodiny. Jednalo se o vrchnost Vayots Dzor („Soutěska běda“) nebo oblast Syunik, kdysi území rodiny Orbelianů. Původně feudální poddaní zakaridských knížat, Smbat Orbelian byl udělen inju stav Velkým chánským mongem v roce 1252 a stal se přímo závislým na Mongolech, což podporovalo jejich politiku rozdělení a vlády. Arménská feudální šlechta se zdá být duchem blízká skotským klanům a stejně jako u keltské tradice měl každý klan svého vlastního biskupa, často potomka rodiny náčelníka klanu. Stepanos Orbelian, který zemřel v roce 1304 a je zde pohřben, byl metropolita Syunik a významný historik.

Společnost založil biskup Hovhannes, opat z Vahanavanky, v roce 1205 na místě dřívějšího kostela (9. století) a stal se centrem syunického biskupství. St. Karapet je jednolodní budova s ​​nádvořím na jihu, která byla odkryta vykopávkami v roce 1982. Na severní straně sousedící se svatým Karapetem je kostel sv. 1222 a vysvěcen roku 1223. Má křížový interiér s dvoupatrovými sakristiemi v každém rohu a kupolí, která byla zničena zemětřesením v roce 1840 a obnovena byla až v 80. letech 20. století. Na severní straně svatého Štěpána je kostelní mauzoleum svatého Řehoře. Navržený architektem Siranesem byl postaven princem Tarsayichem Orbelianem v roce 1275 nad hrobem jeho bratra, prince Smbata Velikého. V roce 1251 a 1256 podnikl dvě nebezpečné cesty k soudu Velkého Chána v Karakorum, aby ho přesvědčil, aby udělil osvobození od daně oblasti Syunik. Jedna vyřezaná deska hrobky zobrazující podivně antropomorfního lva pokrývá hrob syna prince Tarsayicha a bratra biskupa Stepanose Elikuma, který zemřel v roce 1300. Krytý gavit, který je nejlépe popsán jako velkolepější verze západního narthexu, na západě, pocházející z roku 1261, slouží jako mauzoleum orbelských knížat. Vnější stěny gavit mají obzvláště bohatou reliéfní plastiku a celý komplex je bohatý na khatchkary. Obzvláště nápadné zobrazení Boha Otce v jednom typanum nad oknem ho zobrazuje, jak drží Adamovu hlavu v klíně, zatímco Duch svatý na ni sestupuje v podobě holubice, zatímco v jiném typanum nad dveřmi níže sedí Panna Maria a malé dítě Spasitel na trůnu uprostřed bohatě propleteného listí.

Na východní straně komplexu je kostel Svaté Matky Boží (Astvatsatsin), postavený v roce 1339, a někdy se mu také říkalo „Bourtelashen“ podle svého stavitele, knížete Bourtela Orbelina. Navrhl jej velký středověký umělec, malíř, sochař a architekt Momik. Je dvoupodlažní, ale má hlubokou kryptu zaříznutou do skalního podloží, kam se dostanete z úrovně země hlavním vchodem. Do kaple v prvním patře se vstupuje pouze po strmých vnějších schodech po obou stranách hlavního vchodu. Závrať otce Simona ho držela na zemi, ale přestože jsem byl soucitný, byl jsem rád, že jsem vystoupil, protože slávou kaple je světlo proudící dvanácti sloupovou rotundou. Do roku 1997 měl kostel pouze prostou valbovou střechu, ale v roce 1997 byla bubnová a kónická střecha obnovena na základě dílčích zdrojů.

Opustili jsme Norovank a vydali jsme se hledat Gladzor, méně působivé místo, které má ale v arménské kulturní historii obrovský význam. Klášter Gladzor založil Nerses Mshetzi v roce 1282 a sloužil jako univerzita s nejméně devíti profesory a asi patnácti lektory. Zde získali vzdělání vynikající církevníci, vědci a historik biskup Stepanos Orbelian. It was known as the ‘glorious second Athens’, ‘the seat and school of our holy doctors’ by contemporaries and students came from all over Armenia and even from Cilicia. It was famed for its ancient manuscripts and became an outstanding school of miniature painting, many of which are preserved in Armenia’s great manuscript collection housed in Yerevan’s Matenadaran. To avoid the Mongol advance the university eventually transferred to Vostan Gavor after Nerses’ death in 1338, when the monastery rapidly declined and the site was subsequently sacked and left in ruins. Its prestigious reputation ultimately led to the foundation of the Gladzor Management University in Yerevan in 1991, the Gladzor Bank and Gladzor Brandy, a blend of the ubiquitous Armenian spirit.

The site today, known as Tanahati Vank (or Tanade) is along a serpentine road and halfway up a deserted hillside The small Church of St. Stepanos, built of slate coloured stone between 1273-79, boasts external carvings of the Proshian and Orbelian heraldic devices, the latter consisting of a lion and a bull. The university ruins are further down the hill and revealed a small fifth century basilica when excavated in 1970. Below this a large area has been concreted to serve as a car park when coach loads of pilgrims come for occasional services.

A single hawthorn tree, twisted into grotesque shapes by the winter winds, offered shade from the fierce sun and unbelievably, a small modern drinking fountain provided a constant stream of clear, fresh spring water. Here we stopped and refreshed ourselves with sweet apricots and delicious sandwiches of local bread filled with cheese and sprigs of fresh garlic.

Retracing our steps some seven kilometres, we came across the Museum of Gladzor University, established in the seventeenth century Church of St. Hakob in the little village of Vernashen. Outside the entrance seven handsome modern khatchkars have been erected, representing the trivium (grammar, rhetoric & logic) and kvadrivium (arithmetic, geometry, astronomy and music) of mediaeval education. There are also a number of handsome, ancient khatchkars. Inside the little museum offers displays on educational institutions in Armenia, maps illustrating the spread of Gladzor’s influence and reproductions of famous manuscripts created at Gladzor.

While navigating these serpentine roads Eduard recounted the history of Karekin Nzhdeh (1886-1955), a celebrated Armenian nationalist who distinguished himself leading a band of Armenians volunteers alongside the Bulgarians against the Turks in the First Balkan War of 1912 and then went on to lead the Armenian regulars against the Turks and Soviets during 1919-1921. Through his efforts Zangezour stayed Armenian and did not suffer the same fate as Naxçivan. From 1921-1944 Nzhdeh lived in exile in Bulgaria, but, like so many exiles, he was enticed back to his homeland, only to be imprisoned by Stalin until his death. He died in prison in Vladimir and the Soviet authorities rejected his brother’s request that his body should be returned to Armenia. However, in 1983 a group of Armenian intellectuals secretly removed his remains a symbolic portion was interred on the slopes of Mount Khustup while the rest were reburied in Spitakover churchyard, some seven kilometres north of Gladzor, at peace now in an independent Armenia.

We left the main road (A317) shortly before reaching Goris as the next stage of our pilgrimage was to take us to the monastery of Tatev, high up in the thickly wooded mountains. For some ninety minutes we drove on meandering roads which hugged the ridges like the contour lines on a map. As we climbed higher the views became awesome and the abyss, deep down below, daunting. The occasional burnt out chassis, glimpsed fleetingly as we zig-zagged ever onwards and upwards, became unnerving. Manuk drove skilfully, nonchalantly steering round recurring hairpin bends with a rhythmic regularity which revived my latent acrophobia. I sat petrified, pointlessly yet resolutely, gripping the handle above me with ivory knuckles in a sort of premature posmrtné ztuhnutí. After attaining the first summit there was no time for respite before we plummeted down identical roads in a mirror image of the uphill drive, the whole journey being repeated like some fairground roller-coaster. Following the Gorge of the Vorotan river, we eventually arrived at Tatev monastery, and the effort was not a disappointment but, like all good pilgrimages had not been without some exertion.

The fortified monastery had also served as the seat of the bishops of Syunik. It was named after St. Eustathius, one of the LXX disciples, who accompanied the Apostle Thaddeus to Armenia and was martyred here. The original church dates from the fourth century and served a community of hermits. In 844 Bishop David of Syunik persuaded the local princes to grant land and villages as endowments for the monastery and between 895-906 Bishop Ter-Hovhannes built the main church dedicated to Saints Poghos and Petros (Peter and Paul). Bishop Stepanos Orbelian noted that it housed six hundred monks, philosophers “deep as the sea”, able musicians, painters, calligraphers. St. Gregory’s Church was added in 1046 and the surrounding walls. In 1138 an earthquake destroyed Sr. Gregory’s Church and the dome of SS. Petros and Poghos, which were reconstructed by Stepanos Orbelian in 1295. In the 1250s the monastery was restored by Smbat Orbelian. In eleventh century the Tondrakian heretics probably supported the peasantry of Syunik in an insurrection against the monastery. Sacked at the end of the first quarter of fifteenth century by Timurids. The monastery was seriously damaged by an earthquake in 1931.

We parked just outside a solid round tower which stood beside the main entrance. On our right were steps leading up to the little domed Holy Mother of God Church which was added in 1087. The walls were alive with tiny lizards, vigorously going about their business in the afternoon sun.

The large grassed enclosure had stone buildings around every side, through whose cool, dark and deserted chambers one could wander at will. On the east side the drop was sheer and elegant barrel-vaulted chambers framed vistas of breathtaking grandeur. Somewhere beneath, high above the steep wooded slopes, the stillness was broken by the sound of a waterfall crashing into the gorge below. For a more panoramic view we climbed up to the tiles above, where centuries of accumulated neglect had produced a lush and verdant roof-garden.

A huge crane stood beside the main church with its last load of concrete slabs still suspended above the ground, though the rails on which it had once moved back and forth were long since rusted and overgrown. Restoration had started in 1974 but probably ground to a halt in 1998. We later learned from the resident caretaker that the Catholicos had visited only the day before, probably with a potential philanthropist who would complete the reconstruction.

Built against the south wall of SS. Petros and Poghos is a large rectangular stone sarcophagus with a pitched roof. At each end there are two small turban-topped finials, reminiscent of those found on the end of the tombs of Ottoman sultans, whilst in the centre rises a miniature tower surmounted with a cross. The whole is covered in elaborately carvings and khatchkars commemorating priests and bishops. It became clear only later that this structure, which could only be entered from the main church, housed the tomb of S. Grigor of Tatev.

A monument, called ‘Gavazan’ or ‘Rocking Pillar’, which had been erected in 904 in the open, was an unusual combination of Armenian architecture and engineering. It comprised an octahedral pillar, built of small stones, eight metres high and crowned with an ornamented cornice, the whole surmounted by an open-work khatchkar. Its purpose was to warn of seismic tremors, and it is said that even at the mere touch of a hand, the pillar, hinge-coupled to a stylobate, would tilt and then returns to its initial position. Now bound with metal ribs to preserve it from perishing, it can no longer function and may one day fall victim to the very event against which it was intended to warn.

Inside the huge Petros-Poghos Church there were remains still visible of ancient frescoes and the simple marble slab, marking the tomb of St. Grigor where we prayed and lit candles. There were already a few burning when we entered and the approach of a family car just as we were leaving strongly suggested that there is a steady trickle of pilgrims throughout the day. The fairly recent marble floor, which had been laid during an earlier restoration, had no place in the planned future and was now foredoomed, as being neither authentic nor in keeping with the more sensitive renovations currently being undertaken.

Our way to Karabagh meant that we first had to retrace the ninety minute drive to the main road, by which time I had become a more intrepid mountaineer if not blasé about heights. Just outside Goris we stopped for a rest and a meal. In the bend of the trunk road was a dilapidated hut used both as a home and as a wayside restaurant. Behind it, only feet from the passing traffic, was a simple haven of tranquillity: a natural spring, plump chickens mercilessly attacking the grass and a home-made bower, where we consumed freshly barbecued meat and strong coffee. Goris is the first place since leaving the Araratian plain where one can get a mobile phone signal and also the last before entering Karabagh.

Soon after leaving Goris the road noticeably changed and we were now on a sleek modern carriageway gently descending in large circuits as we crossed from Armenia to what had been Azerbaijan only a decade before. This had been paid for by the Armenian diaspora at the cost of $125 million. Yet the border marking our entry into the Republic of Nagorno-Karabagh was little more than a small police checkpoint and we were waved on without any formalities.

The Republic of Mountainous Karabagh’s independence is unrecognised by the international community, its status being akin to the Republic of North Cyprus. In reality, although it retains the semblance of government and statehood, its defence and economy is tied to Armenia, from whom it receives financial and political support.

Under Imperial Russia administrative areas largely followed the ethnic distribution of the population, so that Karabagh formed part of the Elizavetpol Governorate. Following the Russian Revolution and the short-lived Transcaucasian Republic, the newly declared Turkish satellite Republic of Azerbaijan laid claim to Karabagh and Yengezour. At that time Karabagh had a population of 72% Armenians. In the aftermath of the 1915 Genocide, the Armenians of Karabagh naturally preferred to declare their independence, which they did in July 1918. The Azeri response, in September 1918, was for Turkish troops to enter Baku and massacre some 30,000 Armenians as well as destroying hundreds of villages in the governorates of Baku and Elizavetpol (now known variously as Ganja, Gandža, Ganzak and Gəncə). A month later Turkey admitted defeat in the Great War and surrendered to the Allied powers. Britain now became the significant power and offered support to Azerbaijan, which it saw as crucial to its anti-Soviet policy. It firmly supported the Azeri claim to Karabagh and its threats to impose hegemony by force if arms. Unable to resist this, the Congress of the Armenians of Karabagh accepted “to be provisionally within the borders of the Azerbaijani Republic till the final solution of the problem at Peace Conference in Paris.” However, to forestall Azeri occupation, the Armenian population of Karabagh rose in revolt and between March-April 1920 fierce fighting followed and some 20,000 Armenians were slaughtered in Shushi. In 1920 the total population was 60,000 of which 47,000 (over 78%) were Armenians.

Although Karabagh was liberated by Armenia in April 1920, this coincided with the incorporation of Azerbaijan into the Soviet Union, which merely perpetuated the old Azeri territorial claims. To forestall the threat of invasion by combined Russian and Azeri forces, the Armenians of Karabagh declared themselves as Soviet, although a brief uprising declaring an independent Artsakh was fiercely suppressed by the Soviets between January-April 1921. At first it appeared that Russia favoured Karabagh’s incorporation into Armenia but, by July 1921, Stalin had arbitrarily resolved that whilst it should have wide regional autonomy as an oblast it should be incorporated within the Republic of Azerbaijan. Throughout the 1960s there was sustained pressure from Karabagh to be transferred to Armenia but only in 1988 was the pressure for independent resumed through massive protests and public demonstrations. From 1991-1994 a fierce war was fought, leaving an estimated 30,000 dead. Combat ended with a cease-fire but no peace treaty has yet been signed and the two countries are still officially at war.

Since the time of the cease-fire in 1994, one fifth of Azerbaijan is still ‘occupied’ by Karabagh or, as Eduard and Manuk corrected me, ‘liberated’ territories. One of these is the Lachin corridor, down which we had just driven, previously a pass in the Karabagh Mountain range, where the Azeri territory formed a narrow bottleneck between Armenia and Karabagh. It is now no longer an “umbilical cord” linking the two territories but a new province of Kashatagh, stretching to the Araks river (on the borders of Iran) in the south to the Murovdag mountains in the north, comprising some 2,000 square metres, all of which has been resettled by Armenians, who now number 12,000.

At Lachin (renamed Berdzor), a town sprawling over the hillside as the road climbed up the valley, we saw the shells of a few homes destroyed in the war, but the population (which now number 5,000) looked tranquil and relaxed strolling about in the early evening. A new church, built in traditional style, sits on the edge of the valley and offered a peaceful view across this hotly disputed track of land.

From here we drove a further thirty kilometres to Shushi, by which time it was already dark. The episcopal residence is across the road to the west of the Cathedral and we were warmly received by Archbishop Pargev Martirossian of Artsakh. He was born in Sumgait, just north of Baku, which is the third largest city in Azerbaijan, and studied at Etchmiadzin and Leningrad before his consecration to the episcopate in November 1988 and appointment to the diocese of Karabagh in 1989. The Communists had suppressed the diocese of Karabagh in 1930 and arrested Bishop Vrtanes, who was exiled and imprisoned. Thereafter Karabagh had no bishop, although there was a centre based in Baku, until 25 December 1989 when Azeri extremists burned down its Armenian Church. Bishop Parkev, accompanied by three priests, established himself in Stepanakert which, being a Soviet city, had no churches at all. He was unable to move to Shushi into its liberation in 1994. Inevitably he played a hugely significant rôle in the conflict, which earned him the respect and affection of the people of Karabagh. In 1989 there were no Armenian churches functioning in Karabagh, whereas today there are twenty-two. Although aged only forty-nine, the strain of the past momentous decade and a half are reflected in his grey beard, the deep lines of his face and the fact that in 2001 he underwent a triple heart bypass. His manner is gracious and modest, yet his speech is vigorous whilst his eyes twinkle with intelligence and good humour. He speaks good English, which markedly improved with practice, and jokes that he learnt his first words from listening to the Beatles’ lyrics in his youth. Among his latest enterprises is Vanakan Mineral Water, whose label declared discretely, in both English and Armenian, that it came with the blessing of Bishop Parkev. It tasted good, although much of the effervescence seemed to escape on opening.

That night we were accommodated in the comfortable Shushi Hotel, a twelve-roomed enterprise recently built by eight Armenians and one Lebanese at the cost of $160,000.

In the morning, when I wandered out on my balcony overlooking Shushi’s Cathedral, glistening white in the early morning sunshine, and the incipient garden which covered what looked like the foundations of bombed buildings, it was a tranquil scene. Below me some men were engaged in not very pressing repairs on an ancient car whilst an elderly man was weeding the front garden of the hotel. In the distance, through the cool morning haze, the green hills of Karabagh towered over the horizon. Over breakfast with Bishop Pargev we talked about the state of the church in Karabagh. The impressive Amenaprkich Ghazanchetsots Cathedral, although built between 1868-1887 suffered heavily at the hands of the Azeris. In the 1940s it was used as a granary and by the 1950s much of the exterior dressed stone had been removed to use elsewhere, the impressive pointed top to the cathedral dome had been decapitated and high apartment blocks erected all around to begun to conceal the cathedral from sight. In the 1970s explosives were placed in the foundations of the massive pillars but failed to bring down the vault. The structure was neglected and ruinous and during Karabagh’s war of liberation it was used as a depot for thousands of Grad missiles, knowing well that the Armenians would never attack the cathedral. These were used to rain down some fifteen thousand rockets and missiles in the bombardment of Stepanakert, vulnerable in the valley below. Other churches and cemeteries in Shushi and around were systematically vandalised or destroyed.

Eduard stayed behind to discuss his research with Bishop Parkev, and we set off again in our faithful Lada. As we left Shushi the marks of war were clearly visible. Shushi was in fact the last Azeri stronghold to fall on 9 May 1994 and its capture marked the cease-fire. A few doors from the bishop’s house there are the ruined shells of houses, whilst half-occupied blocks of flats show the marks of war. After 1920 the Azeri population of Shushi steadily outnumbered the Armenians, who comprised only two thousand out of seventeen thousand before Karabagh’s liberation. After 1994 the population was exclusively Armenians and numbered five and a half thousand but now, because of lack of employment, there are little more than 3,000 people.

Stepanakert, the republic’s capital, is a pleasant, clean, well-ordered city with broad tree-lined streets. Fighting here was fierce but all obvious signs of destruction have been removed and the atmosphere is calm and relaxed. We had driven down from Shushi on good roads but as we neared the northern outskirts of the capital the road suddenly became a building site. Hardcore had been laid and lorries and machinery were everywhere engaged in work on the next stretch but the road ended abruptly. It was actually being constructed as we watched ! However, unlike British sites, cars were permitted to drive on the unmade road. Our progress now slowed down rapidly as we manoeuvred across the rutted surface whilst simultaneously trying to keep our distance from large trucks going about their lawful business. As we drove on, the activity became less, then ceased completely and the road reverted to a wide dirt track running north alongside a deserted railway line, which had once served both Azerbaijan and Karabagh. At Aghdam, occupied by Armenia since July 1993, two roads headed towards Azerbaijan but we stayed close inside the present border on the road to heading to Martakert.

This borderland showed the extent of the destruction wreaked by war. Ruined portions of walls stood starkly where once entire villages had been, the whole revealing a desolate and sombre landscape. In places even the encroaching vegetation had been burned and the earth was parched and blackened. To the sides faded signs warned us that we should not stray from the road as the areas were still mined, though one notice declared that it had been cleared by the Halo Trust, though this unimpeachable charity has been stigmatised as an enemy of the state by Azebaijan for “supporting” Karabagh.

The region of Martakert was the scene of a successful Azeri offensive in the summer of 1992, which resulted in the occupation of over 80% of its territory, triggering the flight of the Armenian population. However, a successful Armenian counter-offensive in February 1993 reversed the situation, culminating in the liberation in June the same year of the town of Martakert. It was not until after the cease-fire that refugees began to return to their homes but six out of the district’s sixty towns and villages remain under Azeri control. We stopped at one of the many ramshackle wooden shops which lined the road here. The enterprising locals made no attempt at specialisation, one shop offering tin foods and female fashions, whilst another appeared to be purveying outsize water melons and spare car parts. We bought some bottled water and ice lollies. Whilst we sheltered in the meagre shade of a couple of small trees and hastily consumed these rapidly melting refreshments, an overweight army officer pulled into the shop with his car radio pumping out what Manuk disparagingly referred to as Turkish belly-dance music, something which no self-respecting Armenian should tolerate.

From here we followed a steadily deteriorating track to the west, leaving the war-torn desolation and driving through beautiful rural scenery with the Mrav mountains in the distance to the north. Descending from the hills we reached the Sarsang Reservoir before travelling alongside the steady flowing Tatar river, which fed it. At that point a wide flood plain showed a complete absence of human habitation. The car bumped its way bravely until it came to a sudden halt where the track disappeared into an impassable slough some thirty feet across. It hardly seemed possible that we had gone so far only to reach a dead end. One could easily navigate the obstruction on foot but as the terrain sloped down to the river on our right, and an embankment of rock loomed up on the left, it seemed unavoidable. As we were pondering the problem a pair of local rustics appeared from nowhere. Relieved, Manuk hailed them and asked their advice, though their reply didn’t seem to impress him. It appeared that their accents were so thick that their response was barely intelligible whilst Manuk’s metropolitan Armenian was probably just as unfamiliar to them! However, the gist of their advice was to drive straight through it. None of us was convinced that this was sound counsel, especially as stones cast into the murky water seemed to sink a long way down. Just at that moment I spotted a distant lorry lumbering along in our direction. As it would be faced with the same problem we would see how they would resolve matters. When it got nearer, however, it temporarily vanished from view among the trees only to reappear on what must have been a parallel road on a higher level. Manuk enquired again of our rustics about this road, but they shook their heads sagely, warning that the higher road was worse than ours and that we would still be better to drive on. Unconvinced, we returned to the car, reversed with some difficulty and then retraced our way to where the higher path joined our road, all the while being watched suspiciously by our yokels, who appeared to view us as mildly unhinged. As we continued our journey on this road Manuk uncharitably suggested that too much inbreeding had doubtless affected their intellects, whilst I surmised that they might be a species of local wrecker, whose livelihood probably depended on the misfortunes of unwary and too trusting travellers.

The next stop on our pilgrimage was Dadivank, sometimes called Khutavank (‘monastery upon-the-hill), situated on the edge of a steep gorge amidst heavily wooded hills, on the left bank of the Tartar (Trtu) river. Before liberation it stood on the very edge of Mountainous Karabagh, overlooking Azeri territory. Traditionally founded at the end of the first century by the martyr, St. Dadi, another disciple of St. Thaddeus Dadivank was first mentioned in mediaeval chronicles in the 9th century. The monastic complex of Dadivank consists of the Memorial Cathedral (Katoghiké), Church of the Holy Virgin, Chapel, Memorial Bell-Tower and several auxiliary buildings.

The Katoghiké was erected in 1214 by the Queen Arzou of Haterk and Upper Khachen.. The interior walls are richly decorated with frescoes. Part of a large inscription in Armenian, which covers the entire entrance wall of the Cathedral proclaims: “I, Arzou-Khatoun, obedient servant of Christ … wife of King Vakhtang, ruler of Haterk and all Upper Khachen, with great hopes built this holy cathedral on the place where my husband and sons rest in peace … My first-born Hassan martyred for his Christian faith in the war against the Turks, and, three years later, my younger son Grigoris also joined Christ … Completed in the year 663 of the Armenian calendar.” The external southern wall depicts princes Hassan and Grigoris holding up the church in carved relief, whilst St. Dadi and King Vakhtang appear in the same posture on the eastern wall. These princely families, with Arabic or Persian names (such as Hassan, Abas or Abulgharib), vividly illustrate the problem of living for generations under Persian influence.

Dadivank Monastery was reconsecrated in 1994 and since 1997 architectural restoration has made good progress. A group of architects were working in the Katoghiké plotting in detail the khatchkars set into the wall as well as all other ancient epigraphy, but generations of neglect has taken its toll and a much will still be needed to restore this historic monastery to its former glory. We encountered a group of Armenian tourists, one of whom – a rather assertive young lady with passable English – launched into an unsolicited guided tour and explanation of Armenian Church history. When I thanked her, she asked if we were Protestants. I explained that we were British and Orthodox but she was unconvinced, declaring authoritatively that all British were Protestants ! Later we sat at an old trestle table and drank some of the clear spring water which flowed freely from a nearby standpipe. Manuk chatted to the old caretaker and his wife about the problems of living on the border during the war. They admitted that the Azeris had looked after the site quite well and that their biggest problem had come from secular Armenians who didn’t treat the site with the respect it deserved. When the old man learned that we were heading for Gandzasar he asked to come with us as his wages were months in arrears and he needed to collect them !

The road to Gandzasar was probably the worst we encountered in our whole journey. My respect for the much denigrated ‘Lada’ had grown enormously as, in spite of Manuk’s careful manoeuvring around enormous pot holes with jagged edges, we heard horrible grindings from our exhaust pipe. Yet everything remained intact and reliable throughout. We lurched about until I resembled the toy dog with a bobbing head, once so ubiquitously displayed in the rear car windows of proletarian motorists. It was the sort of test drive car manufacturers show you in advertisements to prove the road-worthiness of their vehicles.

Another feature we encountered with increasing frequency were the khaki shells of burnt-out tanks at the side of major roads. At one junction we counted nine piled together, a potent reminder of the fierceness of the fighting in this area and of the human sacrifice to liberate it.

As the light began to fail we came to the village of Vank, above which towered the monastery of Gandzasar. A narrow road encircled the mountain and we drove upwards in a protracted irregular spiral until we reached the crest. Surrounded by low walls and outbuildings, the mighty stone church dominated the flat summit. We were greeted by Father Hovhannes, whom we had met briefly at Shoushi last night, whose vitality energised his great frame as he began our tour of the site. The late afternoon sun not only revealed the mellow golden pigmentation of the stone, but also accentuated the numerous and lavish architectural features in sharp contrasts of darkness and light.

A monastery stood here in the 10 th century, which also served as a mausoleum for the rulers of Khachen. The church of St. John the Baptist was built by Prince Asan-Jalal of Khokhanaberd, founder of Artsakh’s Jalalian dynasty who emerged as the most powerful Armenian feudal ruler in Eastern Armenia. Constructed between 1216-1238, it was consecrated in 1240, to house the head of the John the Baptist (St. Hovannes Mkrtich). The 13th century Armenian author, Kirakos Gandzaketsi, himself a native of Artsakh, attributes the gavit to Mamkan, Hasan’s wife (the inscription on the masonry runs: ‘Mamkan, Hasan and their son Atabeg’). The church’s architecture is based on a cross-cupola composition developed in the 10th century.

The name ‘Gandzasar’ is translated from Armenian as “treasure-mountain” (gandz=treasuresar=mountain) and there can be little doubt that the monastery is a treasure both architecturally and historically. It has also been hailed as “the encyclopædia of Armenian architecture” by the Russian scholar, A.L. Yakobson, whilst according to Professor Charles Diehl of Sorbonne, the prominent French art historian and Byzantine specialist Gandzasar is the third most important artifact of Armenian monastic architecture on the list of world architectural masterpieces.

The central Cathedral is masterly embellished with bas-reliefs depicting the Crucifixion, Adam and Eve and dozens of other stone figures, including the sculptures of the princes of Khachen holding two models of the Cathedral above their heads. According to an inscription on the wall of the Cathedral, it was completed in the year 1238. Overall, up to 150 Armenian stone-borne texts are found on the walls of the Cathedral, including a wall-large inscription made by the order of Hasan-Jalal himself.

In the thirteenth century Gandzasar became the seat of the little known Armenian Catholicosate of Aghvank or Caucasian Albania, (an independent kingdom northeast of Armenia and east of Iberia between the River Kur, the Caspian Sea and the Caucasus range) which had been established by St. Gregory the Illuminator. The Catholicosate of Aghvank or Gandzasar was a branch of the Armenian Apostolic Church and had a succession of catholicoi which survived until Artsakh was freed from Persian rule and taken under the control of Russia in 1813. The Jalalyan malikate, which had survived alongside the catholicosate, was now abolished. Two years later the Catholicos Sarkis II was reduced to the status of a Metropolitan by the Imperial Russian government. The tombs of the Jalalyan princes and the Aghvank catholicoi lie together in the glorious gavit, both awaiting the Day of Resurrection.

During the war for the liberation of Nagorno-Karabagh, especially 1991-1992, Gandzasar became a symbol of Armenian resistance and Archbishop Pargev was called ‘Ghevond erets (priest)’ who was the spiritual leader of the rebellion of the Armenian people headed by the national hero St. Vardan Mamikonyan in 451. Along with Archbishop Pargev was also Ter-Grigor Markosyan who was acting priest in fighting regiments (in Shahumyan region and near Shushi). Before battles they were baptising those fighters who had not been baptised. If it was needed, the priests were defending their native land by joining fighting regiments.

Aerial attacks, aimed specifically at destroying the monastery, came close to being successful, but – providentially – failed. Today the bullet and shell marks are potent testimony to Azeri aggression. Father Hovhannes himself had served in the war of liberation and was able to recount these events as a participant.

Against the low stone parapet, which encircles the monastery, dozens of finely carved stone khatchkars stand propped, memorials to the long history of this holy site. The enclosed space to the north of the church has a well manicured lawn and a few small hawthorn trees with branches shaped by the strong winter winds. On a vacant space behind the old monastic cells a new seminary was partially built and gave promise of the renewed vitality of the church in Artsakh. The cell and reception room of the Catholicos of Aghvank are still preserved to remind us of its former glory. As the darkness fell we dined together in a small vaulted refectory, everything was fresh and delicious: the honeycomb and buffalo yoghurt were especially toothsome! Father Hovhannes served us but didn’t eat as he had begun his eucharistic fast at sunset, which made it much longer than the nine hours we observe.

We were each allocated one of the ancient monastic cells in the block running along one side of the ‘Cathedral close.’ These were single rooms, each with a tiny window high in the wall to enable one to view the cross on the roof of the church whilst in bed. To reach the bathroom one had to cross the silent ‘close’ with the moon and stars as sole illumination. Later, when we were back in Istanbul, I made passing mention of this to Patriarch Mesrob. He recalled that when he had recently officiated at a vigil service at Gandzasar he had thought to have a short nap in one of these cells shortly before dawn. Unable to sleep, he had wandered out into the ‘close’ but was surprised to see someone’s silhouette beside the church. Thinking this was another pilgrim he strolled towards him only to discover, as he turned, that he was face to face with a wild bear. Petrified with astonishment, the Patriarch stared at his grizzly companion, while the bear possibly contemplated its breakfast. Providentially it too was fasting and, after some minutes of silent contemplation, with only a casual shrug of the shoulders, it turned and ambled off into the dark.

The next morning, having been spared any close encounters of the ursine kind, Father Simon and I recited the 3 rd and 6 th hours from the Agbeya in the church before taking our leave of Father Hovhannes and setting off on our return journey to Soushi.

We arrived in time for the Divine Liturgy, which the Archbishop had kindly rescheduled for 10 a.m. to facilitate our journeying back to the Republic of Armenia. The Cathedral is light and cool and the clergy processed unpretentiously across the road from the archbishopric, winding our way through the archway in the impressive campanile. The congregation numbered about sixty but included many young people, which was encouraging. In addition there was an able choir of about a dozen women and girls, all correctly robed and veiled, as well as some ten vested servers who assisted the priest and deacon with military precision. It was a profoundly moving Liturgy and as the bright morning sunshine poured through the sanctuary windows one realised the deep faith which had inspired those who had fought to keep this place Christian when it came so close to being lost for ever.

After the Liturgy Archbishop Pargev took us down to a large, cavernous room beneath the sanctuary, where those who intend to communicate first gather to receive a general absolution from the priest. The acoustics here are so fine that when standing at a specific central spot and looking upwards, the priest can be heard distinctly by all without having to raise his voice in the slightest.

Our short pilgrimage to Artsakh had provided an insight into the core of Armenian Church life which is profoundly necessary to one’s understanding of this ancient and proud Christian people. We would not forget it.

ABBA SERAPHIM

The Glastonbury Review, No. 109 (December 2003).

[1] Naxçivan was an oblast, or autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic, but in 1990 was the first republic to declare its independence and secede from the USSR. However, its geographical isolation led it to join Azerbaijan only weeks later with the status of an autonomous republic. There is a 10 kilometre stretch of border with Turkey along the Arax (Erashk) river at Sadarak, which was opened by the construction of the Umad Kürpüsü (Bridge of Hope) and provides a vital link with Turkey.


Obsah

The origin and meaning of the island's name is unknown, but is often attributed to an old Armenian legend. According to the tale, an Armenian princess named Tamar lived on the island and was in love with a commoner. This boy would swim from the mainland to the island each night, guided by a light she lit for him. Her father learned of the boy's visits. One night, as she waited for her lover to arrive, he smashed her light, leaving the boy in the middle of the lake without a guide to indicate which direction to swim. They say his dying cries of "Akh, Tamar" (Oh, Tamar) can be heard to this day at night. The legend was the inspiration for a famous Armenian poem by Hovhannes Tumanyan.

Akdamar (meaning "white vein" in Turkish) is the official name of the island, but the original "Akhtamar" pronunciation is still used by many of the Kurds who live in the area (there is no "kh" sound in Turkish, but there is in Kurdish).


Travel in Argentina: Visit Plaza Armenia, Buenos Aires

If you visit Buenos Aires when you travel in Argentina, you’ll quickly realise that this is a city made up of many pleasant plazas. These pleasant squares are speckled around the city, and are perfect places to relax, read the paper, drink a coffee and watch the world go by.

If you head to Palermo, the coolest neighbourhood by far, you’ll realise that this area is quite different from much of the city. Things seem more peaceful, the crowds are trendier, the streets are somehow cleaner. There are a number of plazas in Palermo, and the one that is always recommended first when you travel in Argentina is Plaza Cortaza.

However, pleasant as Plaza Cortaza may be, you shouldn’t pass up the opportunity to visit Plaza Armenia as well.

Situated where the two streets Armenia and Costa Rica join together, this small and attractive square is the perfect place to visit during the week when you travel in Argentina, when all you’ll find are a few locals enjoying the peace and quiet.

If you’re a fan of people watching then this is the ideal place to stop by and engage in this favourite past time, as you can sit back and watch Argentinian daily life play out in front of you.

If you don’t fancy sitting in the plaza itself, head to one of the bars or cafes around the edges. Many of these have roof terraces from which you can sit with a beer and watch the world go by below.

Head to Plaza Armenia on the weekend, however, and things are quite different. This is a hotspot for residents of Palermo, and if the sun is shining you can bet that the square will crowd out as everyone has the same idea.

A busy market selling homemade arts and crafts springs up out of nowhere, the atmosphere becomes more intense, and you’ll be lucky to find a seat in any of the cafes, let alone on one of the terraces.

In the near vicinity, you can also take a stroll down Armenia to enjoy some of the Armenian culture of Buenos Aires. There are a number of Armenian restaurants, so if you’ve had enough steak during your time in Buenos Aires then this could be a good antidote.

Definitely take the time to visit Plaza Armenia the next time you travel in Argentina. It’s nothing sensational, but for a good place to enjoy watching the locals in a pleasant, authentic setting then it can’t be beaten.


Floorplan

1. a 10th century church
2. the main temple of St. Astvatsatsin, 1204
3. a rotund church of 1198
4. a chapel of the 12th-13th centuries
5. a gavit, before 1207
6. a communion bread bakery of the 13th century
7. service premises of the 11th-13th centuries
8. the main entrance of the 11th-12 centuries
9. remnants of a fence
10. a spring well of the 12th-13th centuries


Podívejte se na video: Exteriér (Srpen 2022).